Sevilla goes into the second leg match today with the Slovenian side NK Maribor having netted two away goals in the first leg. Sevilla, although unbeaten in Europa, are still trying to get back into form even though they scored a 1-0 victory on Sunday in La Liga against a possession dominating Rayo side. From all accounts Sevilla looked terrible Sunday, but Captain Rakitic once again placed a beauty of a ball on the head of Coke for the game winner. The two away goals make for interesting strategy by Emery. Does he hunker down and play for the shut out, or does he drive for victory out right?
A few interesting facts I found about the match from the UEFA site:
- Sevilla have not won this round of games In Europa since 2007
- This is the first time Maribor or any Slovenian side has reached the knockout stages of the tournament.
- Maribor are 1-6-3 in their last ten Europa league games.
- Sevilla are 2-1 in Shoot Outs in UEFA league games.
- Maribor have never been involved in a ShootOut in UEFA games
- The winners of this round will face Betis or FC Rubin Kazan in the round of 16. If Sevilla and Betis meet it will be the first time in any UEFA tournament competitions.
Hopefully I can watch the game on my phone. If you have access to Watch ESPN you should be able to stream it. I think it is also being broadcast on ESPN Deportes here in the states. Let’s win this damn thing boys so we can put the beat down on Betis 4 times this year, especially since we will probably not see them next season unless it’s in the Copa!