Yikes. This has been a pretty insane off season and its still early days of summer.
First and foremost. A heartfelt thank you to Carlos Bacca. Incredible that you were only with us for two years. But what a two years it has been. You scored 49 goals for this team and always played with passion, giving your all for the team. Without you its hard to imagine winning both let alone even one Europa League title. Without being certain of the salary AC Milan will be paying you, I can’t say I fully understand your decision to leave, but you will always be loved and missed. I wish you the very best.
And while we’re here, welcome Yevhen! Of course, I think there is one or two last little details remaining to be ironed out on your contract, but it appears those are close. I can’t say I fully understand how it is that you fit into this team’s needs, but there is widespread consensus about the quality you will bring to this team. I know I’m very eager to see how you fit in.
Elsewhere in the roster we’ve signed young LB Escudero from Getafe who will rotate with Tremoulinas (unless PSG pry him from us). And further, we may be on the brink of bringing in Ben Yedder to compete for time up front. He’s a little less exciting than the possibility of Dzeko that was briefly rumored, but he’s young, cheaper, and has a nice little highlight reel and is probably worth being pleased about.
There is still work to be done. Even with Ben Yedder, we might be after another striker. Many of us are hoping for N’zonzi, though it sounds like Monchi’s recent trip wasn’t successful in finalizing that deal… But here is the summary as it stands (let me know if I’ve messed up or forgotten anything):
- Stephane Mbia (Trabzonspor) – free
- Carlos Bacca (AC Milan) – 30 million
- Aleix Vidal (Barcelona) – 18 million
- Fernando Navarro (Deportivo) – free
- Iago Aspas (Celta Vigo) – free (more or less)
- Diogo Figueiras (Genoa) – free
- Yevhen Konoplyanka (Dnipro) – free (but some % of future transfer to Dnipro)
- Gael Kakuta (Real Vallecano/Chelsea) – 6 million
- Sergio Escudero (Getafe) – 2.5 million
- Adil Rami (AC Milan) – 5 million
- Michael Krohn-Dehli – free