This is being stolen from the great site www.eldesmarque.com. The link to the article itself is here.
But here’s the list, in descending order:
1) Dani Alves – 39 million, Barca
2) Alvaro Negredo – 25 (28) million, Man City
3) Sergio Ramos – 28 million, Real Madrid
4) Julio Baptista – 24.5 million, Real Madrid
5) Jose Antonio Reyes – 22 million, Arsenal
6) Jesus Navas – 21 (25) million, Man City
7) Seydou Keita – 14 million, Barca
8) Adriano Correia – 13.5 million, Barca
9) Christian Poulsen – 9.75 million, Juventus
10) Aleksandr Kerzhakov – 8 million, Dynamo
I find this fascinating. The Alves sale was just massive. Almost double the size of the Navas deal. But after Navas, there’s a big drop. Anyway, I don’t have much of a point with this other than that I didn’t realize how big the sales of Navas and Negredo have been, historically speaking, for our club. But they are two of the six biggest sales ever. So, hats off to Del Nido/Monchi for holding out with this Negredo deal to get the price they ultimately wanted.
Hopefully, they’re putting this influx of money to good use. So far, there seems to be reason for optimism.